Tips For Better Sleep With Tinnitus
Losing sleep due to tinnitus is more common for people who live with tinnitus. So many people go to bed every night and fight the noises that tinnitus causes. People can really end up with other health problems due to tinnitus sleep loss. So, learning how to get some sleep despite the noises that tinnitus constantly sends to your mind is important.
These tips are really helpful to get a good night’s sleep, despite the tinnitus noises:
- Try deeply relaxing before you lie down to sleep in your bed. Make sure your room is completely quite as possible. Begin to focus on something or somewhere that would give you a peaceful thought. The most important point here is to focus on getting your entire body as relaxed as possible. Though it is believed that we can’t get to that situation successfully all the time, it is worth trying.
- Get yourself some kind of sound generator. The main point being to mast the noise your tinnitus is making. Put the sound generator near the head of your bed and set it for whatever sound that is not disturbing to you. This so called “white noise” will distract your brain from the tinnitus noise. Some say it is one of the most effective methods to sleep with tinnitus.
- Make sure that what is going on in your life during the day is not stressing you out during the night. Get rid of worrying over things like your job or the bills that are due as best you can. All of these kinds of little things in life can ruin your sleep by giving you lots of stress. Getting yourself stressed out over them isn’t going to help you at night when you need to get past the sounds of tinnitus. Losing sleep will have lots of overall health consequences that will build up through time.
- Make sure you are getting enough exercise during the day. Exercise will help you to sleep at night and may have you so tired that even the noise of tinnitus won’t keep you awake.
- Try to get to sleep naturally as possible. If you have to use sleep aid, take a natural sleep aid that isn’t addictive. If a natural sleep aid doesn’t work for you, talk to your doctor about a prescription sleep aid that has little side effects and is not as addictive. Depending on prescription pills will expose you to so many side effects which may aggravate your tinnitus.
- Make changes in your diet that will help you to sleep better at night. Eating heavy meals late at night will burden your digestive systems and will cause you to lose your sleep. Take caffeine out of your night time meals as it will stimulate you and make sleeping peacefully impossible. Cut back on salt as well as salt is a big contributor to high blood pressure. High blood pressure is a medical condition that has tinnitus as a symptom. Caffeine is a stimulant and will increase your heart rate, thus allowing the sounds of tinnitus to get louder by changing the blood flow in your hearing canal.
- Take a long, relaxing hot bath before getting into bed at night as possible. Get in the tub, lie back and relax, letting all the stress of the day slip out of you and into the water. Water has a unique relaxing effect on the body and it has been used for this purpose for centuries.
These are just some of the most used and practiced best tips for sleeping better with tinnitus. With these tips, you can improve your quality of sleep each night which in turn, improve your overall health. It will ultimately alter the way on how you respond to tinnitus. Some people say they noticed their tinnitus decreased after just one night of better sleep.